Closed - redeveloped or demolished

Former cinema buildings that have been demolished, or altered or destroyed beyond all hope of restoration.

ABC Tunbridge Wells

The 1,600-seat Ritz - "Kent's most luxurious cinema" and a part of the Union Cinemas circuit - opened on 3rd December 1934: when I took the photographs in early 2006 - just a few weeks prior to the building's planned demolition - there was still visible, painted on the rear of the building, a faded "Ritz" sign. The first programme, which punters could watch for 3d, was headed by Gracie Fields' Sing As We Go. It become the Essoldo in 1954.

ABC Tunbridge Wells 2006 - front
ABC Tunbridge Wells 2006 - front
ABC Tunbridge Wells 2006 - detail
ABC Tunbridge Wells 2006 - rear
ABC Tunbridge Wells 2006 - rear with visible "Ritz" sign
ABC Tunbridge Wells 2006 - attached shops with auditorium behind
ABC Tunbridge Wells 2006 - attached shops with auditorium behind
ABC Tunbridge Wells 2006 - front
ABC Tunbridge Wells 2006 - front
ABC Tunbridge Wells 2006 - front
ABC Tunbridge Wells 2006 - aerial showing layout

Odeon Guildford

The Odeon Guildford was a relatively plain brick building, built into the hillside at the top end of the High Street. It had illuminated classical-style friezes by Joseph Hermon Cawtha above the main entrance - a design theme echoed within the auditorium. The friezes had a rather playful quality about them: rather than showing actual classical scenes, for example, one showed a saxophonist with a couple dancing. Originally, the brickwork was patterned and there was ornate patterning in the four vertical recesses of the front facade: the impact of this faded over time.

Odeon Guildford - Joseph Hermon Cawthra bas-relief 1
Odeon Guildford - Joseph Hermon Cawthra bas-relief 2
Odeon Guildford - Joseph Hermon Cawthra bas-relief 3
Odeon Guildford - Joseph Hermon Cawthra bas-relief 4

Cannon Guildford

The former Cannon Guildford became a nightclub in the 1990s. At the time of last visit in November 2006, it was standing empty awaiting demolition to make way for the Friary Centre development.

Cannon Guildford 2006 - exterior
Cannon Guildford 2006 - exterior (night)

Odeon Cheltenham

The building was completely demolished in August 2014. The remainder of this article was written during the eight years that it lay derelict.

Odeon Cheltenham 2006 - front before closure
Odeon Cheltenham 2006 - front before closure