Open - operating as cinema

Cinemas that are still showing films, in whole or in part.

Odeon Kensington

The Odeon Kensington started out life in 1926 as The Kensington and then renamed the Majestic in 1940 (in case German parachutists dropped in and used it to identify where they were) Its then-revolutionary architecture - a smart, portal-like opening, designed by Julian Randolph Leathart and W.F. Granger (the first of their four cinemas for Joseph Mears' small London circuit) was a deliberate attempt to move away from the fairground origins of cinema and give cinemagoing a new respectability.

Odeon Kensington 2006 - front
Odeon Kensington 2006 - front and side
Odeon Kensington 2006 - front detail
Odeon Kensington 2006 - side detail
Odeon Kensington 2006 - front detail

Duke Of York's Picturehouse

Opened in 1910 and still working as a cinema today, the Duke Of York's has a strong claim to being Britain's oldest continuously-operated cinema. A full record of the history of this Grade II listed building appears at BrightonFilm.com.

Duke Of York's Picturehouse, Brighton, 2006 - exterior
Duke Of York's Picturehouse, Brighton, 2006 - exterior
Duke Of York's Picturehouse, Brighton, 2006 - exterior detail showing "legs"
Duke Of York's Picturehouse, Brighton, 2006 - BFI centenary plaque

Reel Cinemas York

The Odeon York opened on 1st February 1937 with a single screen seating 1,484. It was tripled in 1972, more sensitively than Odeon often managed but in the usual Odeon pattern, with one large screen in an extended circle and two much smaller screens below.

Odeon York 2006 - exterior
Odeon York 2006 - exterior
Odeon York 2006 - exterior (detail including sign)
Odeon York 2006 - exterior (detail including sign)
Odeon York 2006 - exterior (detail showing rounded corner and original logo)
Odeon York 2006 - exterior (detail showing rounded corner and original logo)
Odeon York 2006 - exterior (rear)
Odeon York 2006 - exterior (rear)
Odeon York 2006 - exterior (rear)

Odeon Weston-super-Mare

Weston-super-Mare's Odeon cinema, designed by Thomas Cecil Howitt, is a stunning landmark building in a starkly beautiful modernist style with a tower typical of vintage Odeon buildings, tiled in a striking cream faiance. Opened in 1935, it was tripled in 1973 in the usual Odeon style (main screen in circle and front stalls; two smaller screens beneath the circle). A fourth screen was added in 1991 by splitting screen 1, achieved by dropping a new wall at the front of the circle; the original proscenium and front stalls (and gents toilets!) are therefore still in use.

Odeon Weston-super-Mare 2006 - exterior
Odeon Weston-super-Mare 2006 - exterior
Odeon Weston-super-Mare 2006 - exterior (detail)

Odeon Salisbury

Surely one of the most remarkable and outright spectacular cinemas in the country, the Odeon Salisbury shows both what can be achieved in cinema design and what twenty-first century audiences are missing in their modern picture palaces.

Odeon Salisbury 2006 - exterior (front)
Odeon Salisbury 2006 - exterior (front)
Odeon Salisbury 2006 - exterior (front detail)
Odeon Salisbury 2006 - exterior (front detail)
Odeon Salisbury 2006 - interior - original ticket hall and box office, now disused
Odeon Salisbury 2006 - exterior (rear)
Odeon Salisbury 2006 - exterior (rear detail)
Odeon Salisbury 2006 - exterior (rear detail)
Odeon Salisbury 2006 - interior (current ticket hall and box office)
Odeon Salisbury 2006 - interior (current ticket hall and box office)
Odeon Salisbury 2006 - interior (current ticket hall and box office)
Odeon Salisbury 2006 - historical information displayed in ticket hall, dated 1931 and signed by the architect William Trent
Odeon Salisbury 2006 - plaque presented by Rank Leisure Services

Everyman Oxted

The mock-Tudor Plaza opened in 1929 and was modified to include a circle in 1936. The capacity was reduced from 600 to 440 with the introduction of CinemaScope, as the new screen had to be built in front of the proscenium.

Everyman Oxted 2006 - front
Everyman Oxted 2006 - front

Odeon Exeter

The Odeon Exeter opened on 30th August 1937, seating 1,900. In 1942, it suffered minor bomb damage in a raid that destroyed much of central Exeter, but was later repaired and restored. The cinema was tripled in 1972 in the standard Odeon pattern (main screen in circle / disused front stalls; smaller screens beneath the circle). Like the Odeon Weston-super-Mare, a fourth screen was added in the former front stalls in 1988.

Odeon Exeter 2006 - front and side
Odeon Exeter 2006 - front
Odeon Exeter 2006 - front and side